Tuesday, September 7, 2010

WordPress - Clean up your Database!

I was working on our WordPress database looking for an error in one of the posts.  While using a PHP based SQL editor I discovered that every post had about 6 or more copies of itself.  They were all the previous revisions of that post.  Then I realized that records of revisions is why our SQL database is so big!



So then I looked for a way to clean up that huge database.  I came across a plug-in called 'WP-Cleanup' and it worked great!  It easily reduced the database size from 19.4 megs down to only 3.4 Megs!  I would highly recommend WP_Cleanup for anyone using WordPress.  It should be run once a month not once a year.

Now I am looking for a way to get rid of all of the unused pictures, there must be thousands of them!

No comments: