Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Arduino Powered WS2812 LED Strips turned into 8x75 Array

I found out that there is a 512 LED limit on running continuous LED arrays from one output of the Arduino.  Then I discovered an alternate setup that can run 1200 addressable LED's from an Arduino.  The alternate method uses the parallel output mode to run 8 strings at the same time.  So far I am just testing the setup to see if it works.

This picture shows the  wiring, it is much easier than any other method of running the addressable LED strings.  Since I only have four strings of 150 LED's they are split in half to make 8 strings of 75 LED's each.

Here is my first test program running.  I changed the default array of patterns into some text.

I have improved the code to support longer strings:

The sign now breaks down into sections that are each 40 inches long.  That is done with eight 3 pin plugs that are identical to what comes on the LED strips.

No comments: